Both low and high levels of humidity can be dangerous to your home and family. Although your HVAC in Minneapolis is designed to help regulate humidity during the summer by removing moisture from the air, it may not be enough to keep your home at the ideal humidity level all year long. This, in turn, can cause a variety of problems if you don’t take steps to correct it.

Respiratory Problems

Air with low humidity levels quickly dries out the mucous membranes lining your respiratory system. These membranes are vital for protecting your respiratory system against disease. As they become dry, they aren’t able to do their job as efficiently and you will be more likely to catch a cold or experience frequent coughing and sneezing. Even if you don’t get sick, extremely low or high humidity levels can both make you feel congested.

Itchy Skin

When the air in your home is too dry, it’s also common for your skin and eyes to feel dry and itchy. This is especially true for people who suffer from eczema, allergies, or other similar chronic conditions. Because your HVAC in Minneapolis can’t add moisture to your air, the best way to solve this problem is by using a humidifier to regulate your home’s humidity.

Viruses and Bacteria

High humidity encourages the growth of many species of harmful bacteria. On the other hand, low humidity makes it easier for many types of viruses to survive and spread. Keeping your home’s humidity properly balanced is the best way to avoid disease by limiting the spread of these pathogens.

Mold and Mildew

Air that is too humid encourages the growth of mold and mildew. Not only can these damage your belongings, they can also be dangerous to your health in large quantities. Breathing in mold spores can cause respiratory problems and allergic reactions. In more severe cases, it can even cause neurological problems like headaches and dizziness.

Home Damage

Low and high humidity can both damage your home and belongings. Too much moisture in the air can cause wooden furniture, floors, and walls to rot. It can also lead to mold growth, which will gradually eat away at wood and other porous materials.

Air that is too dry is equally damaging to the wood in your home. As moisture is sucked out of the wood, your floors and furniture will become brittle and cracked. They will also lose their shine and will be more easily susceptible to damage. In addition, electronics can be damaged by static electricity caused by dry air.

Sign up for our upcoming specials and giveaways!

Sign Up!